Healthy Recipe: Chili Lime Chicken Fajita Salad
A low sodium, low sugar recipe that is high in protein, wholesome carbs and healthy fats, this salad is packed with flavor using tropical fruit and seasonings. Thanks to help from Iowa State University Dietetic Intern Mariah Poore, this is an ideal dish for the summer!
- 6 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3 Tbsp Freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp Brown sugar
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 3/4 tsp Red chili flakes, (or red pepper flakes)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 Chicken breasts (skinless, boneless)
- 1/2 Yellow squash, sliced
- 1/2 Red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1/4 Onion, sliced
- 4 C Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 4 C Arcadian lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1 C Fresh pineapple, grilled
- 1/2 Avocado, to garnish
- Garnish cilantro leaves and lime wedge
Whisk marinade ingredients together to combine. Pour half the marinade into a bowl and marinate chicken breasts for 20 minutes with extra red pepper flakes. Refrigerate the remaining marinade to use as a dressing.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat and cook the chicken breasts on each side bringing internal temp to 165 degrees. Once chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
Slice chicken, pepper, onion and squash into strips and slice pineapple and avocado into wedges. Place bed of greens on a plate. Slice chicken into strips and place with vegetables around the lettuce. Finish with marinade/dressing and serve with (optional) cilantro, lime, and avocado as garnish.
Nutrition Information (Per Serving)
27 g Protein
18 g Cholesterol
5 g Fiber
25 g Fat
324 mg Sodium